Address:
Jalan Gereja
Bandar Hilir, Melaka 75000
Malaysia

Description

The Stadhuys was the official residence of the Dutch Governor, built in 1650 by Dutch Colonialists on a terrace of St. Paul's hill covering 49,200 sqf in area. It had been the Governor's residence until early of 18th century. It also was the Dutch Administrative Centre until 1824. It once housed the Secretary's office, Chief Merchants house, trade office, dining room, prayer room, a guest-house, servants quarters, a warehouse, a bakery and a prison! The Stadhuys continued to be the State Governing Centre until the end of 1979.

In 1982, it was converted into the Museum of History, Ethnography & Literature and exhibits period costumes and furniture crafted by the Portuguese, Dutch, Malays and Chinese.

The original colour of this building was white. It was changed to red during 1820's and then came to be known as The Red Building to date.

An outstanding example of colonial Dutch architecture, this edifice now houses the History Museum and Ethnography Museum.

On display are traditional bridal costumes and relics from Melaka's over 400-year history. Both museums are well-laid out and offer detailed explanations of how these costumes and relics played their part in Melaka's glorious past.


Admission Fees:
Adult: RM5.00
Children/Student: RM2.00

9:00am - 5:30pm